Our Work

The University Building

Eastern Kentucky University
The University Building

The University Building

Project Photos

Project Details

EKU’s library complex is comprised of three buildings linked together to create a seamless library with study areas, classrooms, and traditional library services. The Thomas & Hazel Little Building Expansion connects at various levels to both the existing Crabbe Library (1924), and the University Building (1874), the oldest building on campus. In addition to providing much-needed space for library materials and study areas, the Little Building also includes:

  • General Stacks
  • Information & Circulation Desks
  • Law Library
  • Special Collections and Archives
  • Glenna Sprinkle Dean Learning Resources Center

A skylit, second-floor atrium, used as an extended hours study area, links the new Thomas & Hazel Little Building to the existing University Building and Crabbe Library.

To meet the programmatic needs of EKU, the University Building was also renovated and restored. To accomplish the historical restoration of the University Building, all interior structures, floors, and roofs were removed (leaving only the exterior perimeter brick walls). The new structure was totally reconstructed out of concrete and steel, and then re-attached to the facade. The exterior was preserved to its original state, in keeping with it’s historical significance to the campus.

To further facilitate the function of the library expansion, the upper two floors of the University Building are tied directly to the Thomas & Hazel Little Building via flying stairs, accessed through the skylit atrium. The addition of the University Building provided additional library space as well as classrooms.

The architectural solution of joining the existing Crabbe Library and the University Building eliminated the two separate entries along with all vehicular access. The resulting central entry also solved the function, circulation, and security issues the Crabbe Library faced. In also established a rejuvenated and revitalized pedestrian-friendly urban space, reinforcing the library as a central focus of the campus.

Most recently, Sherman Carter Barnhart renovated part of the two-story atrium into a Cyber Cafe.